16 states and DC have Same Day Voter Registration 
Including most other New England states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut
Yet Massachusetts requires voters to register 20 days before election day to vote . This disenfranchises voters who move often: young people, people of color, and low-income people.
As the most diverse state in New England and our large student population, Same Day Voter Registration is a no-brainer that increases turnout .
Bill: Election Day Registration 
The Election Day Registration bill has consistently been filed since 2005  and has not passed despite our democratic supermajority.
Why are Democrats in favor of barriers to voting?
Massachusetts comes in last place for competitive elections . Conservative Democrats in power have thwarted efforts to expand the electorate and have kept in place the old boys club and a toxic culture of intimidation to “wait your turn”. Change can’t wait, watch this three minute video for more.
What can you do?
Call your representative
Commit to calling your state rep, we will contact you when your voice is needed most.
Join our phone bank
Call voters who live in districts with state reps who still don't support this bill.
Knock on doors
Engage voters at the door step about this issue and many more.
Issues Related to Registering Voters and Administering Elections - United States Government Accountability Office
- “Same Day Voter Registration,” National Conference of State Legislatures, January 25, 2019 http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/same-day-registration.aspx
- Massachusetts law about elections and voting https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massachusetts-law-about-elections-and-voting#massachusetts-laws-
- Burden, Barry, Canon, David, Mayer, Kenneth, Moynihan, Donald, “The Effects and Costs of Early Voting, Election Day Registration, and Same Day Registration in the 2008 Elections,” Pew Charitable Trusts, December 21, 2009 https://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/legacy/uploadedfiles/pcs_assets/2009/uwisconsin1pdf.pdf
- Bill: An Act relative to election day registration https://malegislature.gov/Bills/191/SD1695
- Schwab, Jeremy, “Report shows vote flaws widespread,” Bay State Banner, June 16, 2005 http://www.baystate-banner.com/archives/stories/2005/061605-2.htm
- Schimek, Paul, “Democracy isn’t working in Massachusetts,” Commonwealth Magazine, October 10, 2017 https://commonwealthmagazine.org/politics/democracy-isnt-working-massachusetts/